The chaplain attends all meetings and has an opening and closing prayer at each meeting. These prayers may come from any source: Reflections in the quarterly Auxiliary magazine, www.ALAforVeterans.org, self-composed prayers, or those found elsewhere.
The most important thing to remember is that the American Legion Auxiliary does not promote any one religion. We must not offend anyone by promoting our own religion.
Suggested Chaplain activities:
- Reporting the names of members who are ill and sending them cards
- Sending sympathy cards to family members. If possible, visiting the funeral and doing a memorial service for the deceased member.
- Being in charge of religious services for the unit.
- Visiting members and veterans in nursing homes or those who are shut-ins.
- Keeping in contact with Gold Star Families and remembering them on holidays.
- Volunteering at community projects.
- Making a prayer book or devotional book. In doing this, encourage member participation.