2016-2017 American Legion Auxiliary Membership
- 2016-2017 National Award Cover Sheet (click to download)
- American Legion Auxiliary 2016-2017 Statistics (click to download)
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM AND WHY DO WE HAVE IT?
The role of the Membership Committee is to encourage and support the nationwide effort to attract and retain a diverse, active membership. Members enable us to carry out our mission to assist veterans, military, and their families.
What can you do?
1. Enhance member experience:
- Recognize all members for any and all contributions — volunteering, serving as a chairman or officer, preparing food, and organizing events.
- Share member tools.
- Rid units/departments of member discrimination.
- Ensure a positive experience for all members.
- Be welcoming, kind and respectful to members of all ages and backgrounds.
- Create meaningful participation.
- Establish a membership committee or team to support efforts throughout the department.
2. Reach out to former members
- Develop a script to identify reasons for not renewing and what would cause the former member to consider rejoining.
3. Attract new members
- Ensure a positive new-member experience.
- Increase the ALA’s visibility in the community.
- Engage other community-based organizations in ALA projects such as welcome home/deployment events, support of military families..
- Volunteer at schools, giving flag demonstrations and serving as mentors, with a special emphasis on military children and the issues they face with deployments and transfers.
- Encourage Junior members to recruit their eligible friends and relatives.
- Identify recruitment target groups such as women veterans, military families, and relatives of American Legion members, ALA Girls State alumnae and local colleges.
- Exhibit Service Not Self in all activities and interaction with others.
- Create a significant membership experience for Junior members. Encourage Junior members to attend the senior meeting to share their vision of the unit.
Mid-Year Reports - Department due date is December 5, 2016. Mid-year reports reflect the program work of units in the department. Each Unit Membership Chairman is required to submit a narrative report by December 15, 2016, to the Department Chairman.
Year-End reports - Department due date is April 15, 2017. Annual reports reflect the program work of units in the department. Each Unit chairman is required to submit a narrative report by April 15, 2017 to the department Membership Chairman.
Member Award: Rejoin 1 - Guidelines: Rejoin 1 FORMER Auxiliary Junior or senior member (must not have paid dues after 2014). Submit Rejoin 1 form to the Department Chairman postmarked/e-mailed by April 15, 2017, to receive a Rejoin 1 pin. All verified entries will be eligible for $100 cash drawing. Note: One entry per recruiter.
Member Award: Recruit 1 - Guidelines: Recruit 1 NEW Auxiliary Junior or senior member. Submit Recruit 1 form to the Department Chairman postmarked/e-mailed by April 15, 2017, to receive a Recruit 1 pin. All verified entries will be eligible for $100 cash drawing. Note: One entry per recruiter.
Member Award: Recruit 10 - Guidelines: Recruit 10 or more NEW Auxiliary Junior or senior members. Submit form to the Department Chairman postmarked/e-mailed by April 15, 2017, to receive an ALA microfiber cleaning cloth for your cellphone and electronic screens. All verified entries will be eligible for $250 cash drawing. Note: One entry per recruiter.
Member Award: Silver Brigade - Guidelines: Recruit 25 or more NEW SENIOR Auxiliary members to receive a special gift from the national president. Entry forms must be received at the Department Chairman postmarked/e-mailed by April 15, 2017, in order to qualify. All verified entries will be eligible for a $500 cash drawing. Note: One gift per recruiter.
Unit Award: Best Member Experience - Guidelines: Units that demonstrate the most effective way(s) to improve the member experience must complete the Best Member Experience Award form. Units submitting the Best Member Experience Award form are eligible to receive a letter from the national president, recognition in Auxiliary magazine and at national convention, and $100 to be used for membership and mission outreach. Units must submit completed Best Member Experience Award form to the Department Chairman postmarked/e-mailed by April 15, 2017. The National Membership Committee will select one winner per division.
- 2016-2017 Membership Award Forms (click to download)
Renewal Notice Schedule
The first renewal notice will be mailed by September 15 for the following membership year. A second notice is mailed by January 15 for the current membership year. Units are welcome to supplement the national renewal notices with unit generated renewal notices. The ALA membership year is from January 1 to December 31.
Additional Resources You Can Use
- American Legion Auxiliary Unit Guide Book.
- www.ALAforVeterans.org for award forms and additional resources.
At the Department Convention,delegates also voted to waive theDepartment per capita for all Female Veterans signed up as New ALA Members